We're looking to hire a Web/iOS developer to a six-month contract to join our small and effective development team at EveryBlock. This is your chance to work on a wide variety of interesting problems, helping improve a great product with a passionate and growing user base. You should expect to have a hand in all aspects of the site, and your contributions will have an immediate, direct impact on the awesomeness of our service.
When it comes to developers, we like to hire Jills and Jacks of all trades. The ideal candidate will be equally comfortable building apps for iOS, developing back-end Python code, working with databases (we use PostgreSQL and PostGIS) and helping optimize our infrastructure.
Here is the requisite bulleted list of requirements:
- Experience developing iOS applications.
- Experience developing Web applications, and deploying them on Linux.
- Experience (and preference for) working on a small team.
- Clear communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Impeccable work ethic and ability to manage your own workload effectively.
- Ability to iterate quickly.
And here are some nice-to-haves:
- Experience using Python and Django to develop Web applications.
- Experience building geo apps and using PostGIS.
- Passion about improving neighborhoods through information and enabling community conversation.
We have two designers and three developers at the moment; you'd be the fourth. It's worth mentioning that the entire team right now is ten people, and you have a chance to make a huge impact, beyond strictly development — suggesting marketing ideas, helping prioritize various strategies and tactics, etc.
We have a low-stress environment and a culture of getting things done with as little bureaucracy as possible. Though we're technically no longer an independent startup — we were acquired by msnbc.com (now NBC News Digital) in 2009 — we're culturally very much still a startup, given that our product is still in early stages and we're still figuring things out.
You'll need to live in the Chicago area for this position. Our office is in a comfortable loft space on the north side of Chicago, near a bunch of other startups. Several of us walk or bike to work; we're also equidistant from the Montrose and Irving Park el stations on the Brown Line, and several bus lines.
If you're interested, apply through our Jobvite site. Thanks for checking this out.